It’s important to know the difference between a qualified and a certified interpreter…
In the U.S. you can become a QUALIFIED interpreter by…
- successfully earning a certificate by completing a 40-hour interpreting training program such as “The Community Interpreter.” This certificate is a pre-requisite for the certification process.
- acquiring language credentials
- being 18 or older
- and having a high school diploma or higher education
Here is where you can find more information on how to become certified in spoken languages:
- CCHI: Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters
- NBCMI: The National Board of Certification for Medical Interpreters
Are you qualified or certified? Share your story in the comments below!